The sad loss of an old friend

Last week, an old friend of mine bid a sad farewell to this world...


The frame has broken at the join of the drive side chain stay and the drop out, as you can see. It happened as I was riding along. I went over a bump and the back end went all washy, as if I'd got a puncture. I came to a stop and checked the tyre - no puncture, That's weird. I checked the wheels which were new, thinking perhaps the cone nuts had come loose, nothing. At that point I saw the frame flapping about...

I was on my way to do some cycle training when it happened. It was the first day, so it was all playground work and I didn't need the bike. I had the offer of a lift home but I refused and cycled the bike along the A316 cycle track, very very slowly. It held up, mostly because of the attached rack, I think.

After 12 years of much off roading including a Whitehaven to Sunderland off road C2C, a Weston Super Mare to Beachy Head off road ride and many thousands of commuter miles, the green bike has finally died. Farewell, KHS Montana Comp, your True Temper green steel has kept me happy for many miles, you worked hard and paid the price. Goodbye...


Posted byRichmond Cycling Campaign at 16:32  

0 comments:

Post a Comment